Sunday, November 8, 2015

Roaring Twenties

The Roaring Twenties is the name given to the era in American history between the end of WW1 in 1918 and the beginning of the Great Depression in 1929. 
The "Roaring Twenties" ushered in the birth of a new, modern national lifestyle, as war-weary Americans wanted to enjoy themselves and began to value convenience and leisure over hard work and self-denial. The period of the Roaring Twenties witnessed many Political, Economic and Social changes. 

What Characterized the Roaring Twenties?


The Roaring Twenties era was characterized by technological advances and prosperity with new labor-saving inventions that led to the large scale use of automobiles, telephones, the radio, motion pictures and electricity. 


People challenged traditional ideas and the new morality glorified personal freedom, nonconformists and youth, personified by the fashions and lifestyles of the "flappers" who danced the Charleston to the new music of the Jazz Age in the city speakeasies.

Read through this website choosing NEXT at the bottom of the page until you get to page three. At the bottom of the page click: QUIZ TIME: 1920s Quiz. 

Comment on the blog how many questions out of ten that you got correct . Tell us one cool thing that you learned about the 1920's.
Credit: http://www.american-historama.org/1913-1928-ww1-prohibition-era/roaring-twenties.htm 

14 comments:

  1. I got 7-10/ 70%. I was really surprised. I thought I was seriously going to get a 2/10 or something. I was totally clueless on the ones I got wrong. I only knew the Al Capone question because of Night at the Museum 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got 5/10 right. i found most interesting that they had to sit in flag pools in the pagent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad we arent actually graded on that test, because it wasnt my best work ;) although i find the whole Roaring 1920's thing extremely fascinating. i really enjoy the idea of "flappers". Just seeing how much woman took a stand and changed there every day ways. im no feminist, but independence is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the quiz I got 6/10 right. I found the most interesting in the 1920s is that Ads techniques they were using. My personal favorite of the ads at that time is the Coca-cola posters, the art is bright and colorful, it seems everyone in the pictures are having a good time even Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i got 3/10 .. but something i personally think that was cool about the 1920's was how the first radios were used and how they looked, etc. because now when i think of a radio i imagine a car radio, so they have defiantly come along ways :o

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got 3/10 it was harder then I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got 5/10 right! I found it most interesting that Avon Foreman set the amateur standard of 10 days, 10 hours, 10 minutes, 10 seconds for flag pole sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i took the quiz a few times and finally got 7/10. it was a lot harder than i thought! i thought the dance marathons were very interesting, especially if they mostly just did the Charleston for 45 minutes! i can do the Charleston, but only for a few seconds! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got 8/10 on my second try! I wasn't sure what to read so I didn't know most of the information the first time. I thought it was funny that people would sit on poles for fun! What an interesting hobby! In this era that would be weird. It's like "Hey guys, guess what? I just sat on a pole all day!" XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got 6/10 right and I found it interesting that they had flag pole sitting competitions

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sadly I got 2/10 first but then I took it again and got 4/10.... :(
    I learned that the Regent Theater was America's first Movie Palace

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got 4/10.
    I learned that there were SO many new inventions in the 1920's! I knew there were a lot...but not THAT much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got 4/10 :( I learned that the role models kids wanted to look up to weren't always the most good back then.

    ReplyDelete