Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Flapper girls



In 1920, the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gave women the right to vote, and declared that they deserved full citizenship. Finally, the battle was won! 

Watch each of these 2 minute video on suffrage.

A young woman emerged during the 1920’s who was very different from ladies of the past in her appearance, attitude and behavior. She was called a flapper. She had bobbed hair and short skirts. She behaved in ways that many people called unladylike.


Check out the dance styles of the 1920's...


Women's fashion and image changed drastically during the 1920's... 


The 1920's was an era of Consumerism and mass advertising and, although men were reluctant to wear the new fashions, women wanted to see their men in modern, fashionable clothes that reflected their prosperity and position in society.

Fashion for Men wore well-tailored pinstriped suits, tuxedos, silk shirts and handkerchiefs, raccoon fur coats, fedora hats, suspenders, bow ties, black patent leather shoes and spats.

Credit: https://kidskonnect.com/history/roaring-twenties/ 

Comment on the Blog: If YOU lived during the 1920's what would be YOUR preferred outfit? :)

24 comments:

  1. If I lived during the 1920s, my preferred outfit would for sure be the Co Co Chanel hair, fringed skirt, and loads of stage makeup with bright red lipstick ;) it would be fun to dress up like that on a usual. To think, nowadays that's considered a Halloween costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha Tanah! I can so see you like that! XD

      Delete
    2. I know right? Why can't flappers be normal to see anymore. I would so do it.

      Delete
  2. I would so do the makeup. And the dress

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would look like the middle guy in the picture with the green sweater and bowtie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you'd look nice in that outfit!

      Delete
    2. Evan you'd look awesome in that. We are so getting that for you for homeschool prom :).

      Delete
    3. Yesssss but it will also need a fedora.

      Delete
  4. Aah, the age of the fedora! <3
    I have no idea what I'd wear! :P I don't care much for the short bobs, or the dresses in 1920's, I rather liked the long dresses before the 20's. :P The bright red lipstick is hysterical! XD The cloche hat's were really weird! Hahahaha. I suppose I'd just stick with the long gowns (some aka as mermaid dresses)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Long dresses are probably warmer too! Except we couldn't do the Charleston...Not that we can! :)

      Delete
  5. My preferred outfit would be the tuxedo and the fedora hat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My preferred outfit would be the tuxedo and the fedora hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm agreeing with everyone here, but a fedora would look great! Or maybe a trilby?

      Delete
  7. Ok I honestly can't tell you guys how much I LOVE playing with costumes, hair, and makeup. If I lived in the 1920s I would totally go for the fringed dresses, short bob, and the crazy bright red lipstick. That would be like playing dress up everyday and not getting judged by it which is basically my dream. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my preferred outfit would be a short dress and red lipstick, it would be cool if the styles back then were the same today lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. My preferred outfit would be like the woman who was trying to look all cool while she was smoking. She had a light silk-ish dress that went down to the knees and her shoes were great! I don't know if I would wear makeup because I son't wear it now, but I don't think I'd be able to have my hair THAT short!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really do not have to do much. I already have short hair that is growing into a bob. Outfit-wise maybe a blue or grey dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think since my hair is super curly I would have to keep it long and afro-y I would have to keep it quite long. But I would be decked out in a full flapper outfit with a silver dress with the frilly things, black high heels, and the accessories of course. Oh, and I would so wear red lipstick all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. my preferred outfit would be the fifth guy in the picture but with the fourth guy's jacket
    (I really like the white shoes)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would probably just choose to wear a long dress and a normal haircut, I wouldn't be caught in a flapper outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I had to wear one of those outfits, it would probably be the 2nd or 4th ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fourth one would probably clash with your hair. I'd go with the 2nd one! It would nicely complement your hair! Lol I like the "if I had too" :)

      Delete